How To Play Roulette
Roulette is casino game that was invented in 1655 in Paris by Blaise Pascal a French scientist. The word ‘roulette’ in French means ‘the wheel’. Players have various ways to bet in this game; they can bet on a single number or a series of numbers, the colours red or black or whether the number will be odd or even.
Roulette is one of the oldest casino games around, so it’s best to familiarise yourself with how to play roulette before you get started.
Aim of the Roulette game
When it comes to playing roulette online, the aim of the game is simple – correctly predict where you think the ball will land after each spin of the wheel. Sounds easy doesn’t it, but it isn’t because luck is a very important part of this game.
How to choose your bets
When it comes to choosing your bets, different people have different theories. You get players who study the numbers that have been called a lot recently and class these as ‘hot’ numbers – therefore more likely to come out time and time again. You get other players study the numbers that have not been out yet, thinking that they must be due out any time. You also get players who love odd and even numbers and those who favour red or black – basically, whether a number or colour has been out or not – it’s luck at the end of the day.
Basics of Roulette
When you play roulette online, you either play versus a computer who automatically spins the wheel or you can play live against other players and a croupier at your table. Some players love live casino as it gives you the experience as if you are stood in an actual casino. Once you have your chips, it’s time to place your bets. Each and every player has their own coloured chips to bet on the table, these can be used on as many numbers as you like. The table has numbers ranging from 0 to 36 (some tables even have 37 or 38 slots depending on the type of roulette game you are playing) and to start your bet you place your chips on the table. The croupier will spin the wheel and launch the ball before stating ‘no more bets’. At this point, nobody can add, remove or amend bets that are currently on the table.
The betting table usually has minimum and maximum bets which apply to all players.
Winning at Roulette
To win, the ball must land on your chosen bet. Once the ball has landed into the winning position on the wheel, a marker (also known as a dolly) will be placed against the winning position on the table to show you which number won. All losing bets will be swept away from the table, thus leaving the winning chips in place.
The pockets on the roulette wheel are numbered 0 to 36. The number 0 is green, the even numbers are red and the odd numbers are black. The layout of the numbers on the wheel goes as follows:
Bets can be either inside or outside bets. Inside bets are as follows:
- Straight or Single – is a bet on a single number where you place your chip right in the square for that chosen number
- Split – bet on two horizontally or vertically adjacent numbers (example 14-17) by placing the chip on the edge shared by those numbers
- Street – bet on three consecutive numbers in a horizontal line (example 10-11-12) when you place the chip on the outer edge of the number at either side of the line
- Corner or Square – bet on four numbers that meet in one corner (example 10-11-13-14) when you place the chip on the connecting corner for those numbers
- Six Line or Double Street – bet on 6 consecutive numbers that form two horizontal lines when you place your chip on the outer corner shared by the two leftmost (or rightmost) numbers
- Trio – a bet on three numbers that has at least one zero (example 0-1-2) by placing the chip on the corner shared by those three chosen numbers
- Basket or First Four – a bet on 0-1-2-3 when you place the chip on the outer corner shared by 0-1 or 0-3
The following outside bets have smaller payouts due to better odds of winning;
- 1-18 or 19-36 – you need to bet that the winning number will be in this range
- Red or Black – a bet that the winning bet will be either red or black
- Odd or Even – is a bet that the winning number will be either odd or even
- Dozen Bet – this is a bet that the winning number will be in a chosen dozen; first 1-12, second; 13-24 or third 25-36
- Column Bet – a bet that the winning number will be in the chosen vertical column of 12 numbers (example 1-4-7-10 right down to number 34). The chip must be placed on the space below the final number in this winning sequence
- Snake Bet – this is a special type of bet that covers the numbers 1-5-9-12-14-16-19-23-27-30-32 and 34. It’s name is taken due to the zigzag pattern on the table. To place this bet you must place your chip on the lower corner on the number 34 square that borders the 19-36 box.
There’s three types of roulette games available to play at online casinos, these are the most common game of European Roulette (single zero roulette), French Roulette (single zero roulette) and American Roulette (double zero roulette). If you are new to roulette, American Roulette might be the game for you to play, due to the simplicity of the bets available. If you know how to play roulette then European is the best table for you – whatever variation you chose to play, the winning all comes down to odds. European offers a greater chance of winning compared to American Roulette due to the double zero feature on the wheel.